Thursday, August 12, 2010
A simple smile
I went down to the library again this morning to sit by the water and pray, relax and read. It has become one of my favorite things to do on the Island-find a quiet spot where I can hear only the water and just spend time in quiet mediation with God. I usually get slightly irritated when my quiet spots are interupted with other people, but this morning was different. A woman walked up and stood almost right in front of me and abruptly stopped and started to mutter something about the wetness of the chair. I realized she was saying that she wished she had brought a towel. Having been to the library without a towel myself several times and having a wet butt for the morning, I have learned to carry a towel with me. So I handed it to her so that she too could relax and enjoy this wonderful morning by the water. Her reaction was so wonderful that I know my whole day will be carried by the joy this woman brought me this morning. She was so thankful for me lending her a towel and simply smiled at me with genuine gratitude. We sat there for a while later just reading before I gathered my things to leave. As stood, all she said was good-bye and gave me that same smile of gratitude. I was so overwhelmed by it again that I couldn't even utter a good-bye back, I could simply return what I hope was the same smile of gratitude she had shown me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment