I have officially been off the Island for 3 days now. My last moments on the Island were and moments that will never be forgotten. My last shift at work we did a scavenger hunt and I was blessed to have 4 very cute little girls in my group who were full of energy and smiles. My last moments at work came to a close and the girls and I went home to clean up and "get cute" for a fun last night out. Nichole, Jen, Ashely, Catherine and I put our best on and headed up to the Cupola Bar to have a drink and see the view from the highest point of the Hotel. We then proceeded down to the Gate House for more drinks and dancing at Ladies Night. Those few hours there were a blast! Everyone came out to enjoy my last night on the Island with me and I couldn't have been happier in those moments. I talked with friends I had made over the summer and reminisced about the great times we had. I danced for hours until the lights came on and we were forced to make out way out the door. My now morning was stating out perfect with an unplanned walk up to Fort Holmes followed by hours of great conversation under an almost full moon. I went back to my room for the last time and curled up with Jen and Nichole for a few hours of sleep. I woke up early, with too much excitement from the night before and anticipation of finally returning home. My things were sent to the ferry and I headed up the hill one last time to say my goodbyes at the Hotel. It was really sad having to say goodbye to my small community I had built over the summer. But this adventure had to end and I had to face the fact that is was time to move on to the next one. After the last hugs were given I went down to my favorite spot behind the Library to sit once more and soak in all of God's goodness. Dave joined me after a while and we spent my last hours on the Island talking and just enjoying the beautiful afternoon. Too soon it was time for me to finally step off the Island and return home, finally. I managed to get all of my things in my car, including my bike, and I journeyed the 3 and a half hours home. I cannot explain that although I was sad to leave, my joy in being home was so huge. I spent at least 15 minutes in tears as I walked in the door for the first time in almost 4 months and soaked in that I was finally home. It was a blessed few hours alone and then Jenn came home and I felt such relief hugging her and knowing that I would have an entire semester with just her. I soon headed back to Eaton Rapids for a few days with family, where I am now spending the last few hours before I go back to GR to see Trish for a few days before she takes off for her adventure to Greece.
It's hard to believe that something I looked forward to for so long is actually over. But it was an amazing summer filled with wonderful memories and tons of new friends. And more than anything, I learned to love myself. I learned to find happiness and peace despite the world around me. And for that, I will always be thankful for my wonderful summer on Mackinac Island.
No comments:
Post a Comment