Sunday, August 15, 2010

prayer v. meditation

I've been reading the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and have started to discover a lot about myself. It's pretty much the perfect book for me right now and I have already had so many new realizations and I'm only half way through it. Currently, I am in the second section of the book which is Pray. She tells of her stories of being in India and focusing solely on prayer and what I have come to lean a lot about: meditation. I had never really thought much about meditation until I started to read this book. Gilbert describes prayer as talking to God and meditation is the ability to sit still and listen. Now this should not have been news to me, but it was. And I realized just how much I need some mediation in my life. I'm still at a loss as to how to achieve proper meditation, but now that I am aware of just what it is, I'm going to put a lot of effort into trying to learn how to meditate. I'm going to start by taking a yoga class this fall which will hopefully at least teach me how to relax both my body and my mind. I've spent almost 23 years telling God what I want/need and about all of the troubles and joys of my life, but now I need to start leaning how to listen to His response to all of this. I know He has so much to tell me if only I would be patient enough to listen....

No comments:

Post a Comment