Friday, November 4, 2011

Peace Corps-at last

Last December I began my application to serve with in the Peace Corps.  Over Christmas break Aidan and I went down to the coffee shop in town, Evelyn Bay, and I finally hit the final submit button.  It felt so good!!! Over a month was spent filling everything out and gathering all of the documents, and I had finally gotten it all done. Then came the waiting game....

Luckily, my wait was not long before I received a phone call.  A recruiter called and asked to set up an interview with me! On February 23, 2011 I met with my recruiter and had a wonderful two hours of conversation.  I wasn't nervous (thanks to Katie who had sent me a link to all of the questions she answered before serving in Ghana), and it when we were done with the formal interview, he turned off the recorder and told some wonderful news.  He said that although it isn't often done, he was going to tell me then and there that he would nominate me for service. I was ecstatic!! 

If I thought there was a lot of paperwork involved to apply, it was nothing compared to the packet of information that had to be done once I was nominated.  It took me until June to get all of the appointments done and paperwork filled out correctly.  But after countless phone calls and hours spent filling things out, I sent my medical packet back and waited again.  A few weeks after sending it, I received notice that my medical had cleared!  Excitement yet again.  I was in contact with the PC quite frequently and was told soon after my medical clearance that I there was a very good chance I would be leaving for service in October.  I re-arranged my whole life around this thought.  But then the end of July came.  I was told that the PC had run out of funding and was no longer sending anyone in my area (teaching).  I was devastated.  I was at a complete loss as to what I should do.  They said they might start sending people again in the beginning of next year, but that I shouldn't plan on it.

So I spent two weeks weighing my options and decided I still needed some kind of adventure.  So I took off for Madison.  I got an amazing teaching job at a pre-school and moved in with Dad within weeks of hearing I was no longer going to the PC.  I fell in love with Madison.  I loved the people, the places, the job, the things to do!  I was finally starting to feel settled. 

And then the e-mail came in mid October.  I assumed it was just a follow-up e-mail from the PC asking if I was still interested at all.  The gentleman asked if I had a time to talk with him over the phone, so we set up a time for the following week.  I really thought nothing of it.  I went to my car during lunch and at exactly 1:00 the phone rang.  The conversation began as I expected.  We talked about where I was at in life, if I was interested still, could I leave at the beginning of next year, and a few other specifics about where and how I would serve.  After 35 minutes of conversation, I heard the most wonderful news: 

"This is your unofficial invitation to serve as an Education Specialist in Sub-Saharan Africa leaving at the end of January".    

I of course said that I would love this opportunity, and quickly hung up after he said the official invitation would be in the mail the next day.  And then came the tears.  I sobbed and sobbed with joy.  I called Dad and cried some more as he gave me his genuine congratulations.  I was beside myself.  I could not believe it had finally happened. I was going to Africa!

I spent the next two days in a blur and then Friday at noon I headed home from work meetings to get the mail before I went to MI for the weekend. And there, on the front step, was the package.  I ran out of my car, fumbled with the keys in the door and sat down with a deep breath to find out which country I would be spending two years of my life in.  I opened it, saw the letter and high-lighted in pink was Zambia.  I began sobbing once again.  I paced the empty house and cried and screamed with joy.  I could not believe how perfect it was all working out.  I thanked God again and again and then put the packet away so that I could head to MI to share the news with family and friends.

I spent Halloween weekend with so many family and friends and told them all the news.  There were a wide range of reactions, but most of all love and excitement as they knew my heart and that I had wanted this so bad, for so long.  After a whirl-wind weekend I returned to Madison, e-mailed my official acceptance and then announced it to the world; I put a new profile picture on Facebook.  ha.

So now it's out there for all to see.  On January 24, 2012 I will leave for the most amazing journey of my life.  I will have struggles, hardships and so many joys.  Something I have dreamed of for so long will finally come true.  I will live in Africa and serve with my whole heart.  God, You are indeed good.

1 comment:

  1. SO excited for you, Andrea!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete