Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Finally Feeling Home
I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer now!! No more long days of training and language, and I even passed my finally language interview-barely, but I passed all the same. I cannot wait to get into my village and actually use my language and improve hopefully a lot once I am immersed in it every day. The last week of training was quite a whirlwind. We had a couple of days in Lusaka doing final sessions with the higher-ups of PC Zambia and having some time in town to shop. Wednesday we had Cultural Day where our host families came and we served them lunch-American style. It was great to see yamayo (host mom) again and be able to celebrate with all of the families. I also gave a short speech in chimambwe which went really well. I’m not really sure what I was saying because it was written ahead of time and I just read off of my sheet, but it was fun all the same being able to say thank you to the families and head people of the area in a local language. Friday we got all dolled up and headed to the ambassador’s residence for our swearing-in ceremony. We had amazing American treats and heard some very encouraging speeches from the ambassador and our guest speakers. It ended with us taking our oaths and being given our certificates that stated we were now PCV’s! After some time in the shopping center, we took some time to pack up and then headed to downtown Lusaka to celebrate. The night life here is fairly similar to America, but true to Zambian style, they are quite free on the dance floor. It was really funny watching how they interact with each other and how they respond when a group of over 30 American’s walk in the place. It was a good time though and worth the 2 hours of sleep I got that night. I was up by 5:00 lugging all of my bags out of the posh (for Zambian standards) hotel and loading up the cruiser for our 12 hour journey up to No-Pro. Ba Lameck, our No-Pro driver did a solid job driving and managed to get us home in 11 hours and still in day-light. We were welcomed by about a dozen No-Pro volunteers with candle holders and an incredible meal. I think one of my favorite parts about PC Zambia is the fact that we have houses in every province. I loved sitting around the table with a dozen other volunteers sharing a meal and stories. One of my favorite things in life is to sit around a table and share food with people, and I feel so blessed that I will be able to do this for the next two years. I was a bit sad when I realized that in moving here and living in hut I wouldn’t be able to have a table to sit around and share meals with people, but knowing I have the house to go to a few times every month will make not having it in my home much easier.
Speaking of my home, I'm moving in TOMORROW!! I am so excited! I have spent the past two days doing extreme shopping for anything and everything I could possibly need for the next three months. I have no money left, but I could literally stay in my hut for the next two years and never have to leave. But for those who know me well know how much I like food and cooking and wouldn’t be surprised at the amount of food I bought. But I am really excited to learn how to start cooking at site using a brazier and coals, and the new stove I just finished making. Tony, one of the volunteers closest to me just taught us how to make a small stove out of two pop-cans and then put mentholated spirits in it to create a quick stove. It will be so nice to use on those mornings when I run out of time to light the brazier or the nights when I just don’t have the energy to get the coals going. And it felt so good knowing I can make something useful on my own that I will use often. That’s another thing I'm really excited about: making things and doing things on my own and feeling that sense of accomplishment. I know I will often have to ask for help from neighbors, but I'm looking forward to that too. I can’t wait to spend days walking about my village meeting people and just sitting down and chatting with them. It’s about to be an amazing experience. It’s been a great three months thus far, but now is when it gets real.
Oh, and another part of our initiation into No-Pro was going to Chishimba Falls about an hour drive from the house. It was absolutely incredible. There are pictures on FB from the day and they don’t even come close to doing it justice. We were able to walk right out to the edge of the falls and just lay down and watch them crash over. We fought the current and then floated on our backs towards the fall looking up at the trees. It was like being in Jungle Book. After eating lunch on the edge of the falls, we headed down a path to find our way under the falls. It took about 45 min to go either under or over the rocks/caves but we finally made it behind the falls. I couldn’t believe I was actually standing under the falls. The power was overwhelming. We stood in the mist and looked up at the water crashing above our heads. It was such a great realization that this wasn’t just a vacation destination, this is home.
I’m currently sitting outside at the outdoor bar at the house listening to Sara Bareilles (and thinking of you, Trish) while Ross lights the grill due to the power being out so we can get dinner going. There is a light breeze, a group on the porch chatting and playing cards, the laundry in blowing in the wind as the sun sets behind my shoulder. It’s a beautiful, picturesque evening in a part of the world that I am beyond blessed to be calling home.
Peace and Zambian love…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment