My first Zambian update! Sorry that I had to keep you all in the dark for so long, but being in Africa and having instant internet do not go together. But if you're reading for a lot of reading, here is a full update on my time here so far...
First of all the scenery is incredible! I had no idea it would be so green and hilly. I knew it would differ slightly from the Lion King, but I had no idea it would be this incredible. And though I've only visited two provinces so far (Lusaka and Eastern) I've heard that most of the country is quite diverse in it's landscape. But regardless of where I am I have no doubt that the sunsets will continue to be breathtaking. Every night brings new colors and shades and contrasts with the clouds that I am always amazed. And the weather itself is always throwing me for a loop. When we got here it was nice and hot, but tolerable at night. About a week ago, however, the rains began as did the crazy temperatures. It pours most nights and sometimes into the morning making it cold enough for pants and a sweatshirt, until noon. Then it is blazing hot and I'm dripping as we sit through lessons. But I'm adjusting and enjoying my cool bucket baths at night to get rid of all the sweat from the day.
The kids here are beautiful and for those reading this that know me well, know how happy I am surrounded by them all the time. I don't actually have any children in the family I am staying with now but there are plenty that I pass every day to make me smile for hours. I met a few on the road the other day coming home and when they saw me again that night at the borehole (where we get water) they came running to give me hugs and blew me continuous kisses as I headed home. I am very excited to get to my own site in a couple of months and really get to know the kids around me.
After three days of being in country and going through sessions and a trip into town, we were shipped off in groups of 3 or 4 for our first site visit. I spent 4 beautiful days with a current PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) and two other PCT (trainees) learning all about life here in Zambia. We made amazing American food the whole time-mac'n'cheese, french toast with fresh fruit, quasadillas, spaghetti, and even brownies! It was great to see that even though I will be living in the bush I will still be able to have some comforts from home. We also were able to visit the school where Emily, our host, works. I was moved to tears as the choir sang and the 100+ students stood in lines watching until the last song where they all took off running across a dirt field towards their classrooms. I could hardly believe I was actually living this dream I have had for so long. The hospital and an old Catholic church were also on the agenda, along with a tour through the village led by some of the kids with a stop to pick mangos of course! I loved camping outside and bathing under the stars, though I could have done without the cockroaches in the toilet (going in a hole in the ground is an adjustment enough). The site visit was exactly what I needed though to reinstill my desire to be here and my pure joy at my incredible surroundings.
From site visit we spent one night back at the Barn Motel just outside of Lusaka before we were off to our host families for training for the next three months. I am learning Mambwe and will be living in Northern Province right near Tanzania! I am beyond excited! So my family I am living with, my yamayo (mother) speaks mambwe with me while I am home. She speaks very good English, but now that I have a lot of the basics down for the language she insists I speak it. We have a great time together and we usually end up spending every evening laughing, talking and cooking nshima (the white lump food I told a lot of you about before I left). She has four grown children but I don't see them very often. Language classes were awful at first but I am slowly finding out how to learn a language in general and then actually learning mine. It's great still being around all of the group, but still having time at home with just my yamayo at night. I also have an interesting situation as I live in the house with the family whereas everyone else lives in a seperate hut. It was a hard adjustment at first now having much independence but I really love my life and all it entails.
Food, oh boy. Let's just say it has been quite the adjustment. It took about 5 days for my body to accept it without getting sick, and now I am working on enjoying some of it as I eat it. The nshima isn't bad (especially when I add peanut-butter :), but the relishes (sides) are taking a little getting used to. Pumpkin leaves, soup, eggplant, and eggs are good, but it has taken me talking a lot and cooking a lot with my yamayo to get them in a way that doesn't make me sick. They use a LOT of oil when they cook here and having not eaten a lot of foods with oil in them back in the States, it was not going through my system well. But my yamayo loves cooking with me and often laughs at the way I cook things. But she always asks me to show her how I cook it and then adjust her preperations slightly so that we are both happy. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful mother here who I not only enjoying talking and laughing with but who is also always so concerned with my well being and willing to do alter anything to make sure I'm eating enough. It's certainly a Zambian cultural norm that the bigger you are the healthier you are. I'm having to find a happy medium between making my yamayo happy and still being healthy in my standards. But constant biking helps a lot! Up and down hills every day (almost an hour most days). Right now we have old bikes, but I'm very excited to have our brand new ones issued on Wednesday!
The community life here is incredible. Everyone knows everyone, even if they live 30 min away. Neighbors stop by just to say hi, catch up on gossip and ask to borrow this or that. Every time I go somewhere I am greeted warmly by everyone I pass. And though I'm not learning the language that is spoken in the area (nobody except my host mom and Jonathan's, who is the only other person learning mambwe, speak mambwe), I have learned the greetings in the two languages that are spoken. I heard a lot before coming that Zambia is a very friendly country and it is so true! I never feel unsafe (don't worry 'moms' I'm always on my guard) and people are always smiling and laughing as you pass.
The group I am training with is incredible! I feel so blessed to have such a fun and supportive group of friends. It's certainly a mix of people, but we all get along so well and have a great time no matter what we are doing. We have started doing yopa on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and now kick-boxing on Wednesday evenings. It's been a great outlet and a way to connect in a place that is still so foreign.
Oh, not sure if it was on the news back in the States at all, but ZAMBIA WON THE AFRICAN CUP!!!! IT was such an exciting time to be in Africa, and to be a Zambian! We stayed up late watching the game with lots of locals and then watched as they all ran and danced throughout the village. I have never watched such an intense game (overtime, shoot-out and then two more shots). And Zambia was such an underdog; it was incredible!
I know there is so much more I could say, but I have to rush off to do a few errands while we are still in town. But if any of you have questions, please feel free to e-mail me or shoot me a message on FB or snail-mail! I have internet on my phone now, when its working in the village, and getting letters is always GREAT (thanks Daddy and Bry-so far)!!! I miss you all and am so thankful for the support! Hope to have another update in a month or so.
Zambian love,
Andrea
So great to read this and get insight on your Zambian life! Sorry about the food- I hope your body continues to adjust. MISS YOU and LOVE YOU!
ReplyDeleteAndrea, its good to hear your stories from Zambia so far. I was referred to your blog by Molly Miller. I am currently applying for PC 2013 and also would love to be placed in Africa! Whenever you get a chance, could you speak about the application and interview process. I am hoping to be accepted as a youth development volunteer. I am compiling essays currently.Are there many Christian volunteers or citizens where you are? Its so hard to do essay 1 in less than 500 words! Thanks-Katelyn
ReplyDelete