Sunday, September 11, 2011

a perfect weekend

So I realize that there is literally nobody following this blog, so I am going to give a very detailed account of my wonderful weekend because I'm the only one reading it and I don't have to worry about boring anyone.

Friday was a blissful day at work.  The weather was perfect, a light breeze, sun shining down and the students were at thier best. Aside from a few tears, all of them had a really good day! One student was absent, and although he is making progress, he makes transitions from place to place quite difficult.  It was so nice to be able to simply walk from place to place without having to hear him scream or drag him along.  As the day wound down, I took my time getting home knowing that I would be going to an empty house.  My dad and Kristi had left earlier in the day to head to Chicago for a wedding so the house was all mine.  Usually I would be very nervous about this as I don't like being in a house alone at night, but tonight was different for some reason.  I did some window shopping and then headed home to get ready for a fun night out.  I was a little nervous about going out on the town alone, but I knew I had to start meeting people and sitting at home would not accomplish it.  So I put on some make-up and a new top and headed out the door to go swing dancing.  At first it was really awkward because everyone was coming in as a couple or with people they knew.  I sat outside the door debating whether or not I should just go in or if I should go home to a nice bottle of wine.  Well, I sucked it up, payed the $5 and went inside.  I mostly watched for a bit at first, except for a few dances.  Then a girl I've been calling V because I can't remember anything other than the first letter of her name, came up and started chatting with me.  It was nice to hear her say that it was really brave of me to come on my own and she was really great to get to know and it was a good chance for me to start working on putting myself out there.  I also met Doug, who was very sweet and took a large amount of pity on me and helped show me some of the basic moves of the more modern Lindy Hop as opposed to my old-school east-coast style.  We spent the majority of the night chatting and dancing and I had a really great time.  And I will most likely run into him again not only dancing but also at Hoofer's Outing Club, which he is a member of.  I was home and asleep by midnight and out like a rock despite the fact that I had the house to myself. 

Saturday morning I spent cleaning while listening to the music SUPER loud!  I spent the rest of the morning at the farmer's market, which I love SO much! I took my produce and flowers home to make a GREAT lunch before heading off to babysit Christian and Bella.  I really feel like I should have paid them for the perfect three hours I had.  Bella (who is 3 months old) slept in my arms as I read a book on the porch overlooking the beautiful property and Christian napped downstairs.  I stopped at a park on the way home to read and watch the sunset over the water and continued to relax once I was home. 

This morning I rode my bike with my great new baskets to church (which I'm not sure I really like all that much so I might do some church hopping for the next few months) and then walked down State Street to the Union where I ate lunch and read as I looked out over the lake.  I window shopped on my way back up State Street and watched as the Iron Man race was coming to a close.  The rest of the afternoon and evening were spent reading and watching a movie before I start what I believe will be another glorious week here in the beautiful city of Madison :)

No comments:

Post a Comment